Amy's 2012-challenge book montage

The Hunger Games
Seven Wonders of the Ancient Middle East
Variant
The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
Radiant Darkness
Nobody's baby but mine
The Way We Fall
The Darkening Field
The Future of Us
The 10 Most Remarkable Writers
Monster
Call Me Irresistible
Numbers
Crossed
Dateline: Troy
Reality Check
The Vespertine
Eighth Grade Bites
Tomorrow, When the War Began


Amy S.'s favorite books »
}

Friday, April 6, 2007

My Backyard






Last October I found a bunch of shrubs on sale for $2 and under at Meijer. That began my interest in planting and gardening. I bought several bushes and went home, dug holes, and plopped the plants in. This is the back corner of my house. It was just grass up to the foundation. I planted the bushes, then put mulch around the plants. This spring I am raking up the mulch, putting down landscape fabric, and remulching. Up until the freezing weather hit us this week the plants were beginning to bud. The forsythia at the edge, over by the drain spout even had a few yellow flowers. For some reason the rest of the buds were just green. The tall plant in the back corner is a viburnum allegheny. There are 6 butterfly bushes planted here also. 3 of the 6 show signs of green growth. The other 3 might be dead. I got 4 of those butterfly bushes for only 50 cents each, and they might have been dead when I bought them. I've added some red brick to border this bed also. I removed the red brick from the sides of the house. I like it better back here. I'll have a picture of it later.


This is another view of the back of the house. I've planted other bushes around the chimney and deck. I'm most excited to see the rhododendron bloom, and the nikko blue hydrangea. Last week I planted 6 lily flowers. I also planted 3 cardinal flowers under the window next to the deck. The cardinal flowers came from Teresa.

These are 2 rose of sharon bushes, and one petit bleu "bluebeard" bush.

No comments: